Would you judge me if I told you I’ve eaten the same thing for dinner for eight weeks? Good. Because I’d guess I’ve eaten the same kale salad 5 out of 7 nights a week for the past eight weeks. And nine weeks ago, had you told me I’d be eating kale salads as much as I have, I’d laugh in your face and roll my eyes.
Eight weeks ago, my sister-in-law challenged me to start Kayla Itsines’ #bbg. That’s for another day, but the challenge did influence how I eat. I’ve been much more thoughtful with what I put in my body. Luckily, I had recently been introduced to this delicious salad and homemade dressing from a friend just weeks before starting #bbg. I knew if I added it to our meal planning, I’d be on the track to healthier living.
I’m about to let you in on how good this dinner is. Y’all, it’s on another level of good. It will make a kale eater out of all you non-believers. Believe me, I was on team anti-kale a few weeks ago.
Lemon Honey Dressing
- 1/2 cup on freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice (2 medium sized lemons + 2 small limes // lemons and limes can be substituted for any citrus)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pyrex measuring cup, squeeze lemons and limes.
- Add honey, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil and continue whisking until emulsified.
(Do you see those sweet little Eloise hands? She loves to help us in the kitchen.)
- baby kale
- 1 avocado
- 1 cucumber
- handful of sunflower seeds
- handful of dried cranberries
- lemon honey dressing
- Chop baby kale, avocado, and cucumber.
- Add handful of sunflower seeds and handful of dried cranberries.
- Pour lemon honey dressing and stir until combined.
We always have a protein sliced and served atop this salad. Ideas range from chicken breasts, shrimp, salmon, red fish, steak, etc. Really there’s no bad combination. Enjoy, y’all!