Nothing screams summer quite like friendship bracelets. As a child, I have a vivid memory of making these with my cousins and best friends – especially on rainy, summer afternoons.
Last summer, Eloise dabbled in making friendship bracelets. She learned how to make the Chinese Staircase pattern and practiced until she made them perfect. She enjoyed choosing color combinations that she knew friends and family would find special. As school started up, she let the craft take a back seat to homework, soccer, and gymnastics. However, with the rainy, summer days upon us again, she has picked up the craft once again.
This summer, Eloise has learned a new design – the Diagonal Pattern. She’s excited again to choose unique color combinations for whom her bracelets are designed. Her first bracelet, designed for herself, includes neon brights in orange, coral, pink, and lavender. Good choices, Eloise!
Diagonal Pattern Friendship Bracelet
- embroidery floss
- safety pin
- Choose 3 or 4 colors of embroidery floss
- Cut each thread to a length of 60-65″
- Fold the floss in half and knot to create a loop at one end
- Use a safety pin to anchor floss
- Loop thread 1 over thread 2 to form a number “4”
- Take thread 1 and go under thread 2 then up over thread 1
- Pull thread 1 up to tighten (hold thread 2)
- Repeat steps 5-7 with thread 1 (you should have two knots now)
- Use thread 1 to make two knots on each of your remaining threads
- Repeat process with remaining threads until desired bracelet length is achieved
If all else fails, there’s a YouTube tutorial for everything! I hope your little one enjoys this classic summer activity as much as my Eloise does.